We are very pleased to welcome Visit.org as another fantastic selection of exceptional travel experiences for our members. As with all of our travel offers, we do not earn any fees or commissions on sales or booking and do not charge any travel business for any of our services. This is our latest service to our members….
Based in NYC and founded in early 2015, Visit.org is a technology platform for curated travel experiences offered by nonprofits around the globe.Travelers use Visit.org to add half-to multi-day immersive experiences to their itinerary, and revenues are channeled back to the local community through the host organizations
Visit.org is an online platform that enables travelers to find and book short, guided tours given by social impact organizations (nonprofits, social businesses, community-based associations) around the world. Travelers add unique local experiences to their existing travel itineraries; organizations raise funds and awareness for their cause. We promote these tours to travelers, students, individual donors, corporate groups, nonprofit professionals, and other individuals and groups.
To enhance the mission of great social organizations and increase public knowledge of and engagement with society’s needs by facilitating mutually beneficial, in-person encounters between people and communities around the world.
Each organization (“org”) offers a tour that is unique to its rich history, mission, expertise, and surroundings, while respecting local norms and community members’ dignity. Tours usually include one or more of the following, depending on the specific context of the organization: (1) a presentation of the org’s work, (2) interaction with the community (no interaction with children or other vulnerable population), (3) professional workshops led by community members or staff.
A humanity respectful of one another and inspired to take action to make the world a better place.
Who We are
We have worked in nonprofit organizations and top international development agencies around the world and realized that rather than sites and landscapes, the long lasting memories we take home from our work-related trips are the simple human connections we manage to develop over short periods of time when working with local community based organizations. We are building visit.org so that our friends, families, and anyone intrigued by human relationships can enjoy similar experiences when they travel around the world.
Our Vetting Criteria
We feature tours that benefit communities. Visits featured on visit.org should:
- Run with the involvement and consent of local communities
- Reinvest proceeds back into the community through projects or a shared profit model
- Be short in duration (a couple of hours to a couple of days)
- Keep visitor groups small to minimize cultural and environmental impact
- Respect cultural traditions and social structures
- Brief visitors before the trip on appropriate behavior
- Abstain from burdening local populations or expecting them to perform/publicize traditions or ceremonies
- Prevent interaction with particularly vulnerable populations, including children
- Be environmentally sustainable
- Be appropriate for individual and/ or small groups
- Include meaningful and respectful interaction with members of the community if and when appropriate
- Make visitor safety the top priority and comply with visit.org’s Safety & Security Rules
Happy Trails, Traveller.